Text Browser Navigation Bar: Main Site Navigation and Search | Current Page Navigation | Current Page Content
Central Asia Studies
- Added October 01, 1998
- Type: Monograph
- Opening Pandora's Box: Ethnicity and Central Asian Militaries. Authored by LTC Dianne L. Smith.
- The author examines whether ethnic consciousness affects military service and the specific roles played by ethnic groups within the armed forces, or if military institutions affect ethnicity. The Soviets used military service as a tool to break down ethnicity and create a "New Soviet Man."
- Added August 01, 1998
- Type: Book
- Breaking Away from the Bear. Authored by LTC Dianne L. Smith.
- Lieutenant Colonel Dianne L. Smith examines the development of post-Soviet Central Asian armed forces, Central Asian efforts to guarantee their national security, and the implications for the United States of this struggle. She cautions that the United States use its influence and its military-to-military contact programs judiciously.
- Added February 01, 1998
- Type: Book
- World View: The 1998 Strategic Assessment from the Strategic Studies Institute. Edited by Dr. Earl H. Tilford, Jr..
- World View presents the annual strategic assessments of the analysts at the Strategic Studies Institute. It is fifth in a series that reflects both our individual forecasts and collective review of the key security issues facing the United States. The process that produces World View also leads to our annual Research and Outreach Plan.